Thursday 8 June 2023

Learning how to frost...

 I am not happy... with my DPS.

For the last 10 years I was easy a top 5 player for Innovation. Even though Moonkins sometimes weren't the best for a certain situation, at the end of the raid-night, I knew I had thrown in enough Starsurges and Starfalls to, at least, have some e-peen over my DPS. And now..I am lucky to reach the top 10....

So, how to change that? What is the reason I am struggling? Time to look at Lurge..rr well, Lurger, but I will never get used to that last r.


Lurge about to hit Silvermoons target dummy.
also.. really blizzard, I can hear them scream from Aberrus here?


Lurge actually started getting gear in patch 10.0.7. The island full of rares, and a little bit raiding, gave me some gear to actually not feel that under-geared before patch 10.1 dropped. But, well, then patch 10.1 dropped, and Innovation went to Abberus. I was Ilvl 408 max, and that showed. Even now, 5 weeks on, and just gotten 4 tier set, I only breached Ilvl 420 this Wednesday.

And that is lower as my teammates. Problem here is Mythic+, which I don't do. So for the past month I have been trailing behind on Ilvl. But that should change a little bit next few weeks, when more Heroic gear is coming in, although I still won't be able to upgrade to 5/5.

I could tell you everything about the Balance spec. The ins and outs, what to do how to move. I knew how to find the resources, what you-tubes to watch, and how the talents worked with each other.... but now I am playing a Frost mage. And the rotation guide on wowhead only tells you that much. .

So, I had to find new sources of information, and also, learn a new rotation, and that is something that I am not yet completely good at, especially because, well, a Brainfreeze proc is not a Fingers of Frost proc. I found this on the reddit.


This look simple, but the problem is that it already has 2 different rotations, Milf and Dilf (who came up with those names?) Then there is the silly swapping from rotations at the end of Icy Veins, which is to extend IV I guess, And an added line: use BF-proc in last 5 seconds of IV w/o precast Frostbolt.

Now the main thing about Frost mage rotation is the combi Frostbolt-Flurry-Ice Lance - Il/Fb. That four-spel-combo needs repeating all the time. This will also keep up your icelance and frostbolt buffs normally. Now... what I have been doing last few weeks, was instead of looking at the Brainfreeze proc to cast a 2nd Icelance, was looking at the Fingers of frost proc....  oops.  Now why is that important, because flurried fb/il does a shit ton of dps, and you want that fast.

Now I think I understand what I can do to up the deeps... but..fun fact, that may change soon, because there is a lot of changes coming for Frost on the PTR, including the removal of Rune of Power...hurray.



No comments: